Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Hook(ed) On Ikea"- BK Ikea Opens In Red Hook

You, my friend, are bearing witness to the commercialization of my beloved Brooklyn. Now don't get me wrong, I've always been an advocate for progress, but SHEESH! It seems like every other week a new announcement for some major chain is popping up that's opening in BK. Let's run it down now, shall we? There's Target, Home Depot, Applebee's & Papa John's (in Bed-Stuy), Subways, IHop, Dunkin Donuts, the new Nets stadium going up, and now the largest East coast Ikea in Red Hook. Throw in a Costco, an Apple store and a Wal-Mart, and Brooklyn will be the new suburbs for Mahattanites. No, seriously that's what the booming saturation of these chains are gearing toward. "We" have a tendence to think that the " 'hood" improvements are for "us." No sir, it's simply to make folks who are forced out of the ever rising rent prices in the city, more comfortable about moving into the outer boroughs, period. Trust me, it will be a welcome change of convenience, being able to not have to catch an early morning shuttle to Elizabeth (NJ) just to purchase a much need "Jaskler" or that bedroom "Lanjackt" I saw in the catalogue. But how much "convenience" will it be once my local bodega is bought out by Starbuck's and my rent goes north?

No comments:

"Come Follow Me Into The Matrix"