Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Lost In Translation"-Do you Understand The Words That Are Coming Outta My Mouth?

At times when I'm feeling too lazy to cook (which is quite often) I find myself picking up a hot cooked meal at this Halal spot just block away from my crib. Lately I've taken notice that the African girl at the register has been taken a liking to me. Even though she's "kinda" cute, problem is...I don't speak a lick of African. Curious I ask one of the more familiar faces "Excuse me, ummm who's the new girl behind the ringer?" From what I best could make out what he answered was, "Oh, the girl you speak of is D'frei Kah Dwyck. She is VERRY VEERY popular back home with the men!" Mind you saying all this while holding my shoulder and gave a strong wink at the end. Naive ol' me thought nothing really of it at the time. I introduced myself and we managed to exchange numbers, working with what little English she knew. A few days past, and in the middle of her first visit to my crib she asks "So where should I disrobe and dance for you?" I looked around like "Errr?" She continued and said "Why do you seem so puzzled? Did the older man not tell you about me? I'am D'frei Kah Dwyck." Still confused I'm like "Yeah isn't that your name?" She simply shook her head, and said in much clearer, much slower English "Oh NO Alanzo, I am the freak of the week." Then it finally hit me. Oh, so this isn't a "date" at ALL, is it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

uncomfy life moment of the day.
good writing.

FLY LADY DI said...

yer funnee...

Sallomazing! said...

so stupid! lmao

"Come Follow Me Into The Matrix"