Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"E.T. Go Home!" -District 9 Review

Whoa! NO ONE saw this one coming huh? Now I'am a certified movie buff, I read the blogs, I peep the industry mags. I hear the rumors, I study the trailers...I go HARD! But this one was low on the radar scale. I kinda like it that way simply because dude to the internet sometimes we know too TOO much about the movie walking into the theater. Folks are no longer in the dark (pun intended). Let me be the first to tell you, I DUG this flick man! The documentary style and tone of the film was so reminiscent (to me at least) of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" modernized. I was amazed how well balanced the humor and social commentary under tones were throughout the entire film, DOPE! Without being to heavy handed, it made a great example of how the under privileged are treated by a different class of citizens based on our differences. Apartheid against aliens in Africa (Johannesburg to be specific)...poetic! Man, from the gate even the character development was done well, I was sucked in without all the hype. Also note it was a great role reversal where the HUMANS where the antagonist on their home planet instead of the "visitors"...Again poetic! Can't wait till the extended, special edition, double disc, blu-ray, directors' cut, DVD hits the shelf, I'm SO on it! I'm betting this will be the "Slum Dog Millionaire" film of the year! Meaning small budget big returns. I giving this 4 outta 4 M's!

No comments:

"Come Follow Me Into The Matrix"